[cc-community] Collections [was: Re: public performance and GPL]

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jan 15 09:27:39 EST 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:33:40 -0500
drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 14 January 2012 19:09:06 Anthony wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2012 11:46 AM, "Rob Myers" <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> > > All that said, NC places conditional restrictions on copying based on
> > > context.
> >
> > GPL allows you to copy works which you do not convey without restriction,
> > but imposes restrictions on copying works which you convey.
> >
> > Walks the same fine line between copyright law and contract law as far as I
> > can tell.
>
> Certainly the things I am talking about concern conveying copies of BY-SA
> works, parts of them or derivative/adaptations of them to others under
> non-Free copyright restrictions. Not simply making copies for personal,
> private uses.

Derivations and adaptations should always fall under copyright. The
example I gave earlier (which in part is because I really don't follow
your notion of a collection) with the two books bundled together is an
example where it's not going to be a derivation or adaptation. It's the
physical world equivalent of the GPL's 'mere aggregation'

What is and isn't derivative is itself a minefield. Putting two books
together in a parcel isn't usually derivative. Putting them both in the
same cover on the other hand might be.

Alan