[cc-community] public performance and GPL

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jan 11 18:50:33 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 11/01/12 13:19, drew Roberts wrote:
>> Is there a reason I am getting no real discussion on the thought of drafting
>> copyleft licenses so that parts from various works under various licenses can
>> intermingle while remaining distinct?
>
> Copyleft by definition requires that derivatives/adaptations are placed
> under the same license.
>
> Intermingling while remaining distinct is not possible given this.

Well, CC-BY-SA has the notion of "collections", and it could clarify
that certain instances of art in software are collections (I think in
most instances where the art wasn't specifically created for the
software, this is already the case).

I think the problem would be that GPL doesn't have a similar notion of
"collections".  So that's why *I* haven't much discussed the idea on
this list.  It's not a problem with CC-BY-SA, it's a problem with GPL.