[cc-community] music under CC ...-ND as background music in a game?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 22 23:18:31 EST 2012

Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> writes:

> On 21/02/12 02:29, Ben Finney wrote:
> > The GPL is violated if further restrictions are imposed on the
> > recipient (GPL v3 §10). So combining it with work under a
> > No-Derivatives clause would certainly violate the GPL.
>
> But game content isn't part of the excutable software covered by the
> GPL.

Are you arguing that combining a program work, and audio work, and a
graphic work, all together into a single game work where all of the
parts form the running game, is not creating a derived work under
copyright law?

It seems likely to me that under most copyright jurisdictions, the game
would be a derived work of all of them, and the copyright of all of them
would thereby apply to the game as a whole.

--
 \            “But it is permissible to make a judgment after you have |
  `\    examined the evidence. In some circles it is even encouraged.” |