[cc-community] “I thought cc-by-sa is GPL compatible” and license incompatibility woes

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 11 02:20:52 EDT 2012

Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab at web.de> writes:

> 2 months ago we discussed about GPL compatibility

Thank you for reporting back with some actual experience in dealing with
this issue.

> and 2 main points were raised against it:
>
> * Artists who want GPL compatibility can just dual license, and

They can, but (as you point out) this depends on the need occurring to
them. Licensing music under the GPL is not something likely to occur to
most authors of those works.

> * If you want to use old content under GPL, just ask the artist if you
>   may relicense

That's terrible advice.

You could say the same for any license: contact the copyright holder in
every instance! You're right to point out that this just isn't a
practical response.

> In short: We need GPL compatibility. This is one more usecase.

Thanks again.

--
 \        “It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once.” |
  `\                                                       —David Hume |