[cc-community] sound and video CC-ND

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 5 19:17:07 EDT 2012

drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> writes:

> At one level though, I think we are wanting copyright law to "make
> sense" when at a fundamental level, it doesn't.

Yes. Many of us are hackers – logically-minded folk who like to tinker
with systems, fearlessly changing what's perceived to be broken and
tossing out what no longer works.

The law simply doesn't operate like that, and much of it doesn't make
sense when analysed logically; yet it has legal force regardless and
must be respected in that capacity.

Using our perspective to second-guess how the courts will interpret law
is a recipe for disastrous misunderstandings. We can agitate for changes
in law to make it more sensible, but in the meantime we must deal with
the law as it is used by lawyers and the courts, not as we would wish
them to.

--
 \        “The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. |
  `\                     It's absolutely not.” —Bill Gates, 1995-10-23 |