[cc-community] A Silly Question

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Fri Sep 30 12:30:10 EDT 2011

  On 9/30/2011 9:10 AM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
> Besides the fact that you might be violating implicit contractual obligations that you agreed to by entering the gallery (the "don't piss on my carpet" law), and you would be harming someone else's personal property, another rationale would be -- the work is copyrighted, but the idea of the work is not. The law gives you permission to incorporate the idea of the work in your work, but not the physical object owned by someone else. Alternatively, you could use a legitimately obtained copy of the work and spray paint it to your heart's content.
        It seems to me that the owner of a product has a pretty wide
range of things he can do to it,  no matter what the license is.

        Can Disney sue a child for vandalizing a heavily licensed
character toy?  I'd imagine that any physical alteration I could make to
a Blu-Ray disc or the packaging that comes with it would be permitted
unless somehow this assisted in the violation of the DRM.