[cc-community] A Silly Question

yarrel@gmail.com rob at robmyers.org
Fri Sep 30 08:28:21 EDT 2011

BY-SA 3.0 Unported gives me the right to create Adaptations and to incorporate the Work into Collections.

Why can I not walk into a gallery of BY-SA work and adapt the work with a spraycan? Or incorporate the work into a collection in my swag bag?

I assume this is because the works on the wall are other people's physical property and that the BY-SA grant of a copyright license doesn't affect this, even where granting me the right to make technical modifications in order to exercise my other rights. And that the "Work" is the copyright rather than the physical object. And that this is so obviously and universally true that there is no need for any further discussion of the distinction in the license text.

Is that right?

- Rob.