[cc-community] CC-BY-SA for Jailhouse Lawyers?

Jessica Coates jessica at creativecommons.org
Tue Nov 22 16:56:38 EST 2011

What you're talking about here is the difference between a collection and
an adaptation under the licences. And you're right in your understanding of
it.

You can use SA works in a collection (eg a slideshow or a book) without
them being affected by the SA licensing requirement (ie you don't have to
license the collection under the same licence); but any adaptations (eg a
modified version of the photo, or a photo that's been incorporated into a
larger image) do attract the SA requirements.

You'll see the legal definitions of collection and adaptation at the top of
the legal code of the BY-SA and BY-NC-SA licences (eg
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode).

Have a look at the material on the FAQ page about adaptations and
collections - maybe that will help.

Jessica Coates