[cc-community] Need for a Creative Commons Academic Press

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Mon Nov 14 10:44:11 EST 2011

  On 11/13/2011 2:41 PM, Rachael Matheus wrote:

> I propose that the academic community establish the Creative Commons
> Press.  This publisher would be a nonprofit publisher that would raise
> money to hire an editorial board and staff to run the publishing
> outlet.  More organizations should set-up grant-making procedures to
> support authors to enable them to write books.  Organizations such as
> the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation,
> the Wenner-Green Foundation, and others should set-up systems that
> would allow authors to be financially supported for their work in
> exchange for publishing their work for free and under a creative
> commons license.

       Some academic organizations do publish Creative Commons
textbooks,  and there should be more.

       Note that open-access outlets such as

http://arxiv.org/

       have had success without the CC license,  and an increasing
amount of medical literature is public access.  Maybe textbooks and
research literature are different.