[cc-community] Fwd: FYI--Education groups rallying against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

Jane Park janepark at creativecommons.org
Sun Nov 13 05:30:12 EST 2011

FYI

-----

A grassroots effort has been sparked in the OER and educational technology
community to express concern about the implications of the Stop Online
Piracy Act and PROTECT IP act for OER and online educational services. You
can see our draft letter
here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mODQeljsWa1tzg1mVShE51L8bARR8jaPUdlmWJc3iX4/edit>
.

More information on the bill below, but if you already agree, the process
to sign on is simple:

   - Visit this
form<https://docs.google.com/a/massthink.net/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dEF1aHBMeFZyYXNRUzBXeHFlZW5EZHc6MQ#gid=0>and
simply add your name, email, organization, and (if you want)
   approximately how many learners you or your organization reach.
   our list.

*Why does SOPA matter to online education?*

There is now a whole class of sites that encourage lawful distribution,
remixing and redistribution of educational content (e.g. Curriki,
Connexions, P2PU, YouTube, CK12). Should someone accidentally or
purposefully upload copyrighted material, that service would generally be
protected from liability by the DMCA. A content owner would issue a DMCA
takedown to start that process for removal.

If these bills are enacted, sites that host or use user-generated content
could be required to monitor their site for infringing material, and could
potentially have their domain name disabled by the government if content
owners thought that infringement was occurring on that site. This
represents an entirely new legal power given to content owners to control
the flow of content online and to shape the very foundation of the Internet.

This battle is not just about a material threat to existing sites, but
fighting for future innovations and future services that have yet to be
created.  Here are some groups that have already expressed concern:

   - Librarians<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111110/00563216705/when-even-librarians-are-against-sopa.shtml>
   - Tech investors<http://www.usv.com/2011/06/the-protect-ip-act-will-slow-start-up-innovation.php>
   - Legal academics<http://www.scribd.com/doc/59241037/PROTECT-IP-Letter-Final>
   - Entrepreneurs<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110907/15472915844/top-entrepreneurs-warn-congress-protect-ip-will-stifle-innovation-hurt-job-growth.shtml>
   - Tech companies<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111025/08343716500/house-trying-to-rush-through-its-version-protect-ip-tech-industry-asks-why.shtml>
   - Sports fans<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111109/00180516690/sopa-will-have-serious-implications-sports-fans-blogs.shtml>

Again, please join us in becoming a signatory to our Concerned Educator
letter to Congress<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mODQeljsWa1tzg1mVShE51L8bARR8jaPUdlmWJc3iX4/edit>.
The process is simple. You can either:

   - Visit this
form<https://docs.google.com/a/massthink.net/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dEF1aHBMeFZyYXNRUzBXeHFlZW5EZHc6MQ#gid=0>and
simply add your name, email, organization, and (if you want)
   approximately how many learners you or your organization reach.
   our list.

Thank you! We need your voice in this fight and beyond.

--
Jane Park
http://creativecommons.org/about/people/#janepark

Please donate to the Creative Commons Annual Campaign, going on now!
https://creativecommons.net/donate

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/creativecommons
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: http://creativecommons.org/newsletter