[cc-community] Question about specific attribution requirement for cc-by-sa V3

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu May 5 09:14:24 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 19:12:53 neozoon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I asked the question question below to info at creativecommons.org and
> received a nice and good answer but was asked to put the question on this
> list for a better view on the issue.
>
> So I ask the experts on this list to take a look on the issue and look
> forward for your feedback.
>

> Hello
> I am an author on Wikipedia and support Wikimedia projects as
> Administrator on Wikimedia commons as user Neozoon.
> Additionally I am member of the Wikipedia Support Team.
>
> (see my userpage http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Neozoon)
>

> There is a question about correct usage of the cc-by-sa V 3.0 (DE) Version.
>
> A highly valued contributor offers his pictures under  cc-by-sa V 3.0
> (DE)  with an additional request. The re-user must attribute the name of
> the author DIRECTLY UNDER the photo. On a seperate webpage or on an
> picture index in a book is explicitly not OK for the author. So the
> requirement is not a whish.
>
> " Using or re-using the photo or distributing it, you must attribute the
> photo by adding my name (Photo: Wolfgang Pehlemann) directly under the
> photo with ref. to this licence terms CC-BY-SA and add. respecting
> rights and restrictions of third parties, further you must mention this
> licence terms. You must make your version available especially under
> this conditions as explained."
>
> For usage within Wikipedia the author says that he will not enforce this
> (since the attribution is done on a subpage).
>
> The question is:
> Does this addition requirement impact the license terms of CC-BY-SA V3,
> since for example the pictures can not be used for postcards, where
> attribution on the back of the card is normal and would be Ok according
> to rule 4c of the license.
>
> You can read about the discussion within Wikimedia commons on the links
> below
>
> (Picture has been deleted and there is now the deletion Review process
> started)
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Kristiansa
>nd_Gamle_Varoddbrua_1956_auf_der_Varodd-Br%C3%BCcke_L_618_m_Spannweite_337_F
>oto_2010_Wolfgang_Pehlemann_DSCN1547.jpg
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Undeletion_requests/Current_reque
>sts#File:Kristiansand_Gamle_Varoddbrua_1956_auf_der_Varodd-Br.C3.BCcke_L_618
>_m_Spannweite_337_Foto_2010_Wolfgang_Pehlemann_DSCN1547.jpg
>
> Please send us your assessment of this usage of the cc-by-sa V3 license.
>

> Best regards
> Neozoon
>
> (please excuse for my bad spelling since I am from Germany)
>

> You can see an example picture with the attached license here:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:European_Parliament_Europ%C3%A4ische
>s_Parlament_Parlement_europ%C3%A9en_Strasbourg_France_Louise_Weiss_building_
>Frankreich_-_Foto_2008_Wolfgang_Pehlemann_IMG_0096.jpg

> [...]

8.e. "This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with
respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or
representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall
not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any
communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual
written agreement of the Licensor and You."

from http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

perhaps v 4.0 should add teeth to this, something like:

"You may not use this license to license your works if you try to add further
restrictions on the person getting the license from you."

Thoughts?

Would this be a further restriction or a clarification?