[cc-community] Introducing Myself

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Mar 2 05:12:25 EST 2011

Hi Rob,

On Wednesday 02 Mar 2011 11:19:45 Rob Myers wrote:
> On 02/03/11 07:30, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > You may be right about that. I should note that as far as non-software
> > art and media is concerned, there is less of an issue regarding making
> > the licence
>
> > not-entirely free. For example here:
> RMS's views on culture are coherent and consistent with his views on
> software. But he's treating game assets as a matter of functionality
> (software) rather than speech (culture). There is an issue with the
> latter not being free...

well, it would be useful if we can find a citation on that. At one point RMS
said that because he disagreed to the validity of some Creative Commons (CC)
licences, he cannot in full conscience support them ( "all-or-nothing-
thinking" etc.). However, then CC has end-of-lifed some licences, including
the licence for third world countires, and he then said that he approves of it
and now the list of licences on the list of various licences on the FSF site
( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html ) mentions CC-by and CC-by-sa.

From what I know, RMS believes that non-FOSS software is unethical (or maybe
only immoral - not sure), but I think he still doesn't feel it should be
illegal to license code under non-free licences. On the other hand, if a free
cultural work was not entirely non-free, but still allowed free non-commercial
redistribution and acknowledged some fair use rights, then it won't likely
have an effect on society that would be as bad as a non-free software
application (naturally, as long as the work's copyrights' term will end after
a reasonable time, instead of the insanely long copyright term that it has now
in the United States and elsewhere, and given other natural reservations as
Prof. Lawrence Lessig mentions in http://remix.lessig.org/ ).

I share pretty much the same opinion as Lessig does in this regard.

In any case, I'll think I'll E-mail Mr. Stallman to get a more formal opinion
from him about that, and then post his reply here and on my blog.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish