[cc-community] No DRM [Was Re: More discussion on NC]

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Oct 13 05:13:20 EDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 12:37 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> surrounding copyright worse and worse. The game has to be changed somehow.
>> BY-SA with some more strength might do it. A human only license in the area
>> of culture/art/music might. BY-NC will not in my estimation. Thoughts?
>
> A more explicit "no DRM" might help.

Yes. There was an extensive debate on the CC mailing lists at the time
of the 3.0 licences about the existing anti-DRM language. I was relieved
that nothing was watered down.

> Right now people like the BBC
> happily broadcast copies of CC content onto encrypted media channels as
> part of TV programming.

(IANAL but...) Is this not a requirement that you accept additional
terms, or "effective technological measures", as per BY-SA 3.0 4c?

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

"You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that restrict the
terms of this License or the ability of the recipient of the Work to
exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the
License. [...] You may not impose any effective technological measures
on the Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from
You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of
the License."

If it's not then I can't see how to revise that in a way that
differentiates between the BBC and a PGP email.

- Rob.