[cc-community] Want your comments and feedback on Selling CC-By-SA-NC

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Oct 9 19:14:37 EDT 2010

On 10/09/2010 11:54 PM, Andrew Rens wrote:
> Questions on NC

This should be a new thread...

> For those who think that NC is (currently) hopelessly unclear; what
> would you prefer, that NC be abolished? Or that NC be clarified?

I'd rather NC was abolished.

Given that it won't be, I'd rather it was clarified.

> If you want NC abolished is that because you are ideologically opposed
> to NC? (Which is a perfectly legitimate view IMO.)

I am opposed to the ideology of NC.

> What about Mark Shuttleworth's argument that by including the people who
> want NC in the CC community CC has prevented license proliferation
> because otherwise people who want NC style licenses would have created
> multiple attempts at an NC license?

Shuttleworth is, as ever, asking the wrong question. There would not be
more work under NC licences if CC hadn't produced such a licence. And
skewing or enlisting the "community" towards NC is not in itself
necessarily a good thing.

- Rob.