[cc-community] Licenses and law interaction.

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Nov 5 06:02:25 EDT 2010

On 11/05/2010 09:43 AM, Javier Candeira wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Rob Myers<rob at robmyers.org>  wrote:
>>
>> Under UK law the person using the tools that Google provide to produce the
>> translation would be the person who would gain/violate copyright.
>
> Now that's intriguing. Not Google's for making the difficult,
> complicated program, but yours or mine for the effort of pushing a
> button? Not arguing, mind you. Just interested.

Yours or mine for causing the work to be created, just as if we'd used a
word processor or a command line tool,

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOutput

unless Google say anything different in the terms and conditions for
using the *service*. But it's probably better for them from the point of
view of liability if they don't.

- Rob.