[cc-community] Public Domain Mark - Invitation to Comment

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Fri Aug 6 18:48:18 EDT 2010

See our announcement <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/22940>on the
new Public Domain Mark, text below.  Please contribute comments before
*Wednesday,
August 18th*.

We're very excited about this one!

Diane

<<>>

6th August 2010

Marking and Tagging the Public Domain:
An Invitation to Comment

Almost 1½ years have passed since we launched CC0
v1.0<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/13304>,
our public domain waiver that allows rights holders to place a work as
nearly as possible into the public domain, worldwide, prior to the
expiration of copyright. CC0 has proven a valuable tool for
governments<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/21473>
, scientists <https://proteomecommons.org/news.jsp?i=660>,
data<http://code.flickr.com/blog/2009/05/21/flickr-shapefiles-public-dataset-10/>
 providers <http://www.personalgenomes.org/>, providers of bibliographic
data<http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2FOpen-Access-Bibliotheken-geben-Katalogdaten-frei-954945.html&sl=de&tl=en>,
and many others throughout world. At the time we published CC0, we made note
of a second public domain tool under development — a tool that would make it
easy for people to tag and find content already in the public domain.

We are publishing today for comment our new Public Domain
Mark<http://labs.creativecommons.org/demos/pd/>,
a tool that allows works already in the public domain to be marked and
tagged in a way that clearly communicates the work’s PD status, and allows
it to be easily discoverable. The PDM is not a legal instrument like CC0 or
our licenses — it can only be used to label a work with information about
its public domain copyright status, not change a work’s current status under
copyright. However, just like CC0 and our licenses, PDM has a
metadata-supported deed and is machine readable, allowing works tagged with
PDM to be findable on the Internet. (Please note that the example used on
the sample deed is purely hypothetical at the moment.)

We are also releasing for public comment general purpose
norms<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Public_Domain_Norms> —
voluntary guidelines or “pleases” that providers and curators of PD
materials may request be followed when a PD work they have marked is
thereafter used by others. Our PDM deed as well as an upcoming enhanced CC0
deed will support norms in addition to citation metadata, which will allow a
user to easily cite the author or provider of the work through copy-paste
HTML.

The public comment period will close on *Wednesday, August 18**th*. Why so
short? For starters, PDM is not a legal tool in the same sense our licenses
and CC0 are legally operative — no legal rights are being surrendered or
affected, and there is no accompanying legal code to finesse. Just as
importantly, however, we believe that having the mark used soon rather than
later will allow early adopters to provide us with invaluable feedback on
actual implementations, which will allow us to improve the marking tool in
the future.

The primary venue for submitting comments and discussing the tool is the
cc-licenses <http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listsinfo/cc-licenses> mailing
list. We look forward to hearing from you!
Diane

--
Diane M. Peters, General Counsel
Creative Commons

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal advice
nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal advice.
Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice. You need to assess
the suitability of Creative Commons tools for your particular situation,
which may include obtaining appropriate legal advice from a licensed
attorney.