[cc-community] If a given licence changes...?

Mario Pena mpena at safecreative.org
Tue Apr 27 10:37:59 EDT 2010

The link seems to work for me:

*What if I change my mind?*

This is an extremely important point for you to consider. Creative Commons
licenses are non-revocable. This means that you cannot stop someone, who has
obtained your work under a Creative Commons license, from using the work
according to that license. You can stop offering your work under a Creative
Commons license at any time you wish; but this will not affect the rights
associated with any copies of your work already in circulation under a
Creative Commons license. So you need to think carefully when choosing a
Creative Commons license to make sure that you are happy for people to be
using your work consistent with the terms of the license, even if you later
stop distributing your work.

For some creators and/or licensors, this is not an important issue. And most
educators who put their their educational resources online do so with the
idea that they will be widely shared. But if you depend on controlling the
copyrights in your resources for your livelihood, you should think carefully
before giving away commercial rights to your creative work. For example,
many musicians have discovered that offering work for noncommercial use can
be quite rewarding. But anything beyond that requires careful consideration.
We all admire generous souls. But if you want to be generous, we want you to
think carefully about it before you are.

So the key question for me at this point is... how can I prove the work was
under a CC by if found only, for instance, in Flickr and have nothing else?
This has happened to me sometimes and know some end users do not want to use
CC works because of this.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Graham, Richard <rgraham at ndevon.ac.uk>wrote:

> aware,
>
> >> Is that correct? It would be very troubling if that were the case.
> For
> >> example, as an entity, today, I need maximum mileage so I put my work
> >> out under a CC-BY license but once I have achieved my target, I
> change
> >> it to CC-BY-NC. That really would be unfair to all those downstream
> >> who worked on it basis an understanding that it was CC-BY. Wouldn't
> it
> >> be akin to retrospectively, and unilaterally, changing the terms of
> >> contract?  -GJ
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the changes of a license affects the ones
> who
> > access the file from that moment on, but not the ones who previously
> got
> > the content with the former license. That's why we believe having
> proofs
> > of the licensing status of a work is important.  -MP
>
> I grabbed this from the CC website a while ago but the link seems to be
> not working for me. I think it's
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Before_Licensing.
>
> What if I change my mind? This is an extremely important point for you
> to consider. Creative Commons licenses are non-revocable. This means
> that you cannot stop someone, who has obtained your work under a
> Creative Commons license, from using the work according to that license.
> You can stop offering your work under a Creative Commons license at any
> time you wish; but this will not affect the rights associated with any
> copies of your work already in circulation under a Creative Commons
> license. So you need to think carefully when choosing a Creative Commons
> license to make sure that you are happy for people to be using your work
> consistent with the terms of the license, even if you later stop
> distributing your work.
>
> Richard.
> DISCLAIMER - Any opinions expressed in this communication are those of the
> individual and not necessarily Petroc. This communication and any files
> transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies (which may
> contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from the College are solely
> for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain material protected by
> attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the
> person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that
> you have received this communication in error and that any use is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify
> the College by telephone on +44 (0)1271 345291 or via eMail to
> postbox at ndevon.ac.uk, including a copy of this message. Please then
> destroy this eMail and any copies of it.

Mario Pena (Community and Business Manager)
mpena at safecreative.org
http://www.safecreative.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mariopena
http://www.facebook.com/marioantoniopena