[cc-community] CC on the Google Books Settlement?

Gavin Baker gavin at gavinbaker.com
Tue Sep 8 23:06:13 EDT 2009

The FSF has objected to the Google Books Settlement on the grounds that
it must "[adopt] terms that better address the needs of authors using
free licenses like the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), and [which
do] not provide special competitive advantages to Google."

http://www.fsf.org/news/2009-09-google-book-settlement-objection

Presumably, similar concerns apply to authors using CC licenses. Has CC
weighed in on the Google Books Settlement?

(The deadline to file amici briefs, objections or to opt out of the
settlement was today. FSF could object as a member of the class covered
by the suit; I don't know if CC is in a similar position, but it could
have filed an amicus brief.)

I did notice that Google Books' Partner Program offers options for CC
license users:

but those options are only available to members of Google Books' Partner
Program. I can't tell whether membership in that program is open to any
author included in the class.

--
Gavin Baker
http://www.gavinbaker.com/