[cc-community] Up front requirement to remove credit / attribution?

Nathan Yergler nathan at creativecommons.org
Mon Oct 26 12:23:37 EDT 2009

I suppose you could make that assertion (disclaiming attribution), but
it seems like that's trying to solve a non-existent problem.  I won't
speak for Bradley, but it reads to me like he doesn't want to be
quoted out of context or attribution to be used as implied
endorsement.  IANAL but I doubt the license protects from the former
given fair use.  With respect to the latter, section 4(b) of the
license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode) already
states that this is prohibited:

You may not implicitly or explicitly assert or imply any connection
with, sponsorship or endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor
and/or Attribution Parties, as appropriate, of You or Your use of the
Work, without the separate, express prior written permission of the
Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties.

We've tried to make this clearer by adding updating the Attribution
text on the deed as well:

You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or
your use of the work).

I can't remember off the top of my head when that went live; I think
it was a while ago, though.

Regards,

Nathan