[cc-community] using Creative Commons as a fig leave

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:09:34 EDT 2009

I can see that it's potentially offensive for Tribe of Noise to
acquire rights that it doesn't pass on.  But then again they pass on
far more rights than their competitors, even to the extent of allowing
competitors to work with the material.

The overwhelming likelihood is that ToN will go under like almost all
startups.  Nothing wrong with it attempting to make commercial deals
that enable it to survive.

About revenue sharing, that's not a bad thing.  On the other hand, it
makes them a B2B rather than B2C proposition, which is very different
and can really mess them up.  And the money on the table for the
musicians is so small that it wouldn't be a motivator for many.

if I had my way, upload/hosting sites for original content would
acquire no more rights than they pass along via CC licensing.  It
really bothers me that the hosting site always pretends to be sui
generis and just gums up the works for everybody else.  But I don't
see this as immoral, just irritating.