[cc-community] Patent research exemption

Gavin Baker gavin at gavinbaker.com
Wed Feb 11 12:30:07 EST 2009

Today CC announced a new project aimed at re-creating the so-called
"research exemption" for patents in the U.S.:

I remember a few years ago, when Science Commons was starting, this was
an area many people expected SC to move quickly into. But the word then
was that patents are not a significant barrier to academic research (I
could swear I remember Wilbanks saying something almost verbatim like that).

What changed the calculus? Or am I remembering this wrong?

--
Gavin Baker
http://www.gavinbaker.com/
gavin at gavinbaker.com

We may not stop until we have done our part to fashion a world in which
there shall be some share of fellowship; which shall be better than a
den of thieves.
    Learned Hand