[cc-community] What does CC-BY-ND actually mean?

Gisle Hannemyr gisle at ifi.uio.no
Thu Apr 9 02:59:04 EDT 2009

On 07.04.2009 20:45, Paul Houle wrote:
> I'm wondering about what rights CC-BY-ND gives to people who find a
> photograph.
>
> It's clear to me that CC-BY-ND means that I can't alter the image in
> photoshop to produce a new image,  for instance,  or use it to make a
> collage.

Correct.

> Would I be allowed to print an unmodified version of the image in a
> book?

Yes.

> Would I be allowed to incorporate such an image in a web site
> which contains a collection of images?

Yes.

In the two specific uses you refers to, you are using the image
as part of a collection.  A collection is not a derivative work
or adaptation, so the ND clause does not apply.

Check out the definition of a collection under 1(b) in the legal
code: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/legalcode

I see this question frequently asked, and I am surprised that it
is not addressed more explicit in this section of the FAQ:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FFAQ#Does_my_use_constitute_a_derivative_work_or_an_adaptation.3F