[cc-community] CCplus Standard License Agreement?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Sep 15 19:05:05 EDT 2008

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2008 15:15:59 Roland Alton-Scheidl wrote:
>> Additionally, we would also like to offer immediate rights clearing for
>> those, who need a commercial license of a work, which is published under a
>> CC-nc condition only.
>
> Why can you not do something similar for cc BY-SA too?

I'd just like to second that. Note that there should be no
special-handling requirement between By-NC, By-NC-SA, By-ND, By-NC-ND,
and By-SA! All five could be offered under the same licensing option
(which would remove NC, SA, and ND requirements for the one user), so
it's no extra work for you (you just have to permit all five types of
work to be submitted).

>> Shouldn't we have a generic commercial license agreement for CCplus, which
>> is valid after a payment has been made, derived from a CC-by license?

I gather that you mean "derived in such a way as to apply to only one
person?" I'm not absolutely certain that's possible without some major
rewriting (I wonder if a simpler single-user license would do the job
better?).

>> Any other proposals for a generic CCplus license?

YES. I would like to see a "Buy for the Commons" option: the author can
choose an amount for which they would be willing to release the work
By-SA for everyone. Once that's paid, the work is free.

You should leave the actual fund raising mechanism up to the project
making the purchase (there are 3rd party services for doing this part).

This would allow a sufficiently interested commons project to purchase
the rights to a work for inclusion in a By-SA distribution, thus
actually moving NC works into the commons, for a given price. This would
be a fantastic asset to the community, IMHO, and a much bigger deal than
being able to make individual rights purchases.

Cheers,
Terry