[cc-community] "CC-GNU GPL" & GFDL

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Tue Mar 11 22:56:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 22:20 -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
> Chris Watkins wrote:
> > The CC-GNU <tr_1204163091589>GPL
> > <http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl>mark is a CC tool for
> > marking GFDL content - a great tool that gives a
> > highly visible mark, and presumably it will allow for searching when
> > specifying a free license.
> >
> > But there is no such tool for the GFDL license - is this correct? Why is
> > this?
>
> That's easy, it's competition. ;-)

Or rather, no one did the work to set it up like the cc-gpl above...

> CC acknowledged early on that the CC licenses were not good for
> software, so it is a specific CC recommendation to use GPL (or LGPL) for
> software. Thus CC needed deeds for those licenses.
>
> But the GFDL is a content license, which competes with CC-By-SA and
> therefore CC doesn't recommend it (neither do I for that matter, GFDL is
> needlessly complicated and can be "non-free" if you use the invariant
> sections parts).
>
> There's also about a dozen semi-common non-CC content licenses out there
> that also compete with various CC licenses. Must CC give them all "equal
> time"? I don't think it makes sense to.
>
> Presumeably, the sponsoring organizations for those licenses could
> provide a similar "deed" if they wanted to. Alternatively, a neutral
> organization like http://freedomdefined.org might decide to take it on.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

What? freedomdefined is more neutral than CC ;)

I've often said that the three expressions of a license, along with the
metadata for expressing licenses is uber important for licensing into
the future and is what our liblicense project supports in a large scope
enough to encompass more than just CC licenses:

http://creativecommons.org/projects/liblicense

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
skype: kidproto (preferred phone)
im: kidproto
china phone: +86 1-360-282-8624

Business + Community Manager
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.