[cc-community] Non-evil alternative to Flickr?

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Wed Jun 4 22:29:40 EDT 2008

I want to share my photos, and use CC licenses. I'd prefer not to use Flickr
(or any other Yahoo service) due to their shameful behavior, helping to hand
over to the Chinese government those who dared to criticize
it<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo%21#Work_in_China>.

At the same time, a one-person boycott is pointless and I need to find a
place to share my photos.  I did blog about this
question<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fchriswaterguy.livejournal.com%2F14550.html&ei=mklHSK2XKob6pgTq0IS4BA&usg=AFQjCNHnXFQBjTKsigItbvdnEg286bNEnQ&sig2=AfY7Y07pZWzmRAllgSD_Og>but
didn't get any suggestions.

http://fffff.at/fuckflickr-info sums it up pithily but I don't think I want
to point my friends and family at that url. But if someone set up as a
competitor to Flickr, using that (open source) software, and making it
possible to tag with CC licenses, that would be tempting.

Of course as the various social media are becoming more interconnected these
days, there wouldneed to be some kind of open protocol that would enable
one's photos to be easily shared on Facebook, friendfeed etc, if they were
to have a hope of providing a realistic alternative.

Any ideas? I suspect there is no real alternative but I don't want to give
up without a final attempt to find one.

Thanks.

Btw, I really appreciate the great answers to questions I've asked on the
list in recent months and I've read them all, even if i haven't responded
yet.

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

Blog: chriswaterguy.livejournal.com/

Buying at Amazon, eBay etc? Start at http://appropedia.maatiam.com and a
percentage of your purchase supports Appropedia - at no extra cost.

Where men are the most sure and arrogant, they are commonly the most
mistaken, and have there given reins to passion, without that proper
deliberation and suspense, which can alone secure them from the grossest
absurdities. -- David Hume