[cc-community] [cc-licenses] Thoughts on new wording RE collection societies etc.

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Jan 28 16:27:51 EST 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 15:02:35 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On 1/28/08, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 28 January 2008 05:52:49 Paul Keller wrote:
> > > The CS will not take as a member if you allow
> > > commercial uses of your music for free (which BY or BY-SA).
> >
> > No problem. But they would be collecting royalties that were rightfully
> > mine for the use of my music and I could set about raising whatever
> > amount of sting I wanted to get them to give me my share as a non-member
> > or to take me as a member on my terms.
>
> Is there any use case for Drew's suggestion? It seems that EU
> collecting societies are clearly not a use case.

Well, as you can see here:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2008-January/006286.html

Gisle Hannemyr claims that what I am concerned about is the case for Norway
and she thinks it also applies to Sweden and Denmark as well - and maybe even
Finland and Iceland.

From my informal asking around here in the Bahamas, I think it may apply to us
as well. I know PRS give blanket licenses. You don't get discounts if you
play some songs that you have a seperate license for.

I can see if a friendly lawyer can give me a better answer.

I would certainly appreciate hearing from other places.

Would this be a good time to make up a table?