[cc-community] input for LiveContent v2.0

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Wed Jan 16 16:41:17 EST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Fred Benenson wrote:

> One thought: how best can we preserve / show metadata when putting files
> in an archive like this? Just putting files in a directory will probably
> not be enough, EXIF data might be fine, but how do we make sure it's got
> author name / link as opposed to just camera data? Can you point me to
> the place where people are talking about the big zip archive?

We've given some thought to this, and here are our tentative plans.  We
will try to embed the right metadata in the files indicating their source
and attribution information in the files using liblicense.  In addition,
since not everyone (to put it mildly) has software that exposes that
metadata, we'd make a separate directory with license and credits
information.

/home/livecontent/Desktop/ is the Desktop

/home/livecontent/Desktop/Images/ is where images live

/home/livecontent/Desktop/Images/AwesomeImage.jpg is a sample image

/home/livecontent/Desktop/Images/credits/AwesomeImage.jpg.txt contains:

 	Name: IMG0339
 	License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/
 	Author: bobjones at flickr

This is a description of what plan to do when I get around to it, not
something that has already happened, so now's a great time for feedback!

-- Asheesh.

--
You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night
to write.