[cc-community] CC-like video release form

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Tue Jan 15 18:17:26 EST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 15:47:59 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On 1/15/08, Matthew J. Agnello <matt.agnello at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to adapt the BY-SA license to make a copyleft version of a video
> > release so interviewees don't have to be concerned about having their
> > contributions becoming proprietary (that is, released under traditional
> > copyright limitations). This would still allow commercial use, but it
> > would require releasing the derivative (my documentary) CC BY-SA.
>
> Adapt the BY-SA license is probably the wrong way to think about it,
> because you wouldn't actually be changing the license.  Your
> description in your first post on this thread sounds right to me:
>
> "I'd like to put those fears to rest with a CC-like release form. My
> idea is to have them sign a one or two sentence contract that
> basically says, I release my image/likeness to you for the purposes of
> your project under the terms of a Creative Commons
> Attribution-ShareAlike licence, the text of which can be found at the
> following link. Following that would be the human-readable version of
> the licence and the legal code URL. If the person wanted a copy of the
> CC text, I would have printouts with me."
>
> Of course IANAL...
>
> FWIW there's been a fair amount of discussion about release forms here
> in the past
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.ibiblio.org+release+form+cc-com
>munity
>
> I believe someone was cataloging such forms, but I don't recall where.
> Jon Phillips should know.

Michael W. Dean, in his $30 Film School book has examples of the forms he uses
for his movies:

http://www.30dollarfilmschool.com/

http://www.kittyfeet.com/30bucks/release_forms.ZIP

I think Mike is correct. Thre is no need to adapt the license if anyone was
thinking there was, I am not sure of that, the release would just need to
allow use in a By-Sa project rather than in any project.

I have even pondered requiring the use of a BY-SA license should anyone ever
wish to interview me for some strange reason.

I guess that might boil down to how much I wanted to be interviewed versus how
much they wanted to interview me.