[cc-community] avoiding the CC licensing path by rights users

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Apr 16 15:45:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Lloyd <cc at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> John Hendrik Weitzmann wrote:
>  > the assumption is accurate for almost all larger business bodies, I used
>  > the word "usually", didn't suggest that it's going to stay this way for
>  > all eternity and am not being purposely vague here in any way.
>  >

>  I somehow feel that if someone licenses a BY-SA piece of work that gets
>  incorporated into some advert for megacorp, that megacorp isn't going to
>  be too worried about people redistributing their advert.

You'd think, but instances of megacorps being so forward thinking are
extremely rare.*  And with BY-SA it isn't just redistribution.
Presumably they'd be concerned about derivative works, including
commercial ones by competitors.

Mike

* Examples with caveats http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7630
and http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7999