[cc-community] What does NC means?

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:21:54 EDT 2007

Giorgos wrote:

> 1. BY-NC-ND allows for file-sharing, so BY-NC-ND does not equal (C)

I didn't saying anything about BY-NC-ND and its relationship to (c).
I said that BY-NC-ND is a "Your Rights Removed" license.
Your Rights Removed Licenses start with the premise that the user can
limits/restrict/prohibit acts that would otherwise be allowable under
copyright law.

> 2. CC users are supposed to read the deed, not the legal code - the deed should be enough

The only thing that has legal standing is the legal code.  People
dont' read the legal code.  They don't realize that they chose the
wrong license for what they want to accomplish, until after the fact.

> 3. If the legal code and the deed are not 100% consistent this can be

The best way to improve it, is to scrap it.

xan

jonathon