[cc-community] What does NC means?

Lloyd cc at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 20:14:37 EDT 2007

Fred Benenson wrote:

> On 10/29/07, *jonathon* <jonathon.blake at gmail.com
> <mailto:jonathon.blake at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     LLoyd wrote:
>
>      > that is clear and unambiguous.
>
>     You might think it is unambiguous, but for those who are concerned
>     about legal niceties, that clause contains enough loopholes that you
>     can driver the platform for  Saturn One through it.
>

> This is not the case, at least, in the Netherlands:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5823
>
> There, the court very specifically interpreted the NonCommercial license
> to mean that the work couldn't be published in a tabloid magazine.

Damn - beaten to it. The first upholding of a CC license was on the
non-commercial aspect.

I'm pretty sure that there may be some borderline cases where the
commercial aspect of the use is in legitimate dispute, but for the
majority of cases where it matters the commercial aspect of the use will
be clear.