[cc-community] Resources on the history of the copyleft movement...

Fred Benenson fred at creativecommons.org
Wed Mar 14 23:18:02 EDT 2007

I was part of a working group at the Beyond Broadcast 2007 conference where
we worked on developing a timeline for Free Culture events. While it might
not qualify as "authoritative" to a room full librarians, I think we managed
to hit on the significant develops in the copyleft world over the last
decade or so.

Check it out here:

http://beyondbroadcast.net/wiki07/index.php?title=Free_Culture_Activism_and_the_Mass_Media_Conversation

Best,

Fred B

On 3/14/07, Aaron Shaw <adshaw at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I think that "authoritative and accurate" history you're looking for has
> yet to be written (at least in English as far as I am aware). Perhaps you'll
> write it as a dissertation? In the meantime, I would also check out both of
> these titles (sorry if they're obvious):
>
> - S. Weber. 2004. The Success of Open Source. (esp chs 2-3 on the history
> of OSS - which overlaps somewhat)
> - L. Lessig. 2000. Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace
>
> And these articles (sorry if these are also obvious):
>
> - Eben Moglen. "Anarchism Triumphant: Free Software and the Death of
> Copyright." First Monday.
> http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/my_pubs/anarchism.html
>
> - Richard Stallman, GNU Manifesto, available at:
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> If you want more stuff that dives into the legal "issues" of copyleft, cc,
> or OSS, I can pass along those as well. It doesn't sound like that's what
> you're going for at the moment, though.
>
> cheers,
>
> Aaron
>

> On 3/14/07, Christopher Rios <crios at crios.info> wrote:
> > I'm currently working on a copyleft presentation for a graduate class
> > I am taking and a group of librarians. I am an advocate of Creative
> > Commons and will be incorporating a message of endorsement. I'm
> > trying to find a history of the copyleft movement and was hoping that
> > somebody might be able to point me towards a resource that is
> > accurate and authoritative (whatever that may mean). I've looked at
> > Wikipedia but I'm going to be needing other sources if I want to be
> > taken seriously by a roomful of librarians.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris Rios

The content of this email message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License, Some Rights Reserved.