[cc-community] CC-licensed video contest on information sharing -- win $1, 000

Gavin Baker gavin at arl.org
Thu Jul 26 16:31:37 EDT 2007

CALL FOR ENTRIES

SPARC Announces Mind Mashup:
A Video Contest to Showcase Student Views on Information Sharing

Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales and Documentary Filmmaker Peter Wintonick
Among Judges Selecting $1,000 Prize Winner

Washington, DC - July 25, 2007 - SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and
Academic Resources Coalition) today announced the launch of the first
annual SPARC Discovery Awards, a contest to promote the open exchange
of information. Mind Mashup, the theme of the 2007 contest, calls on
entrants to illustrate in a short video the importance of sharing
ideas and information of all kinds. Mashup is an expression referring
to a song, video, Web site or software application that combines
content from more than one source.

Consistent with SPARC's mission as an international alliance of
academic and research libraries promoting the benefits of information
sharing, the contest encourages new voices to join the public
discussion of information policy in the Internet age. Designed for
adoption as a college or high school class assignment, the SPARC
Discovery Awards are open to anyone over the age of 15.

Contestants are asked to submit videos of two minutes or less that
imaginatively show the benefits of bringing down barriers to the open
exchange of information. Submissions will be judged by a panel that
includes:

Aaron Delwiche, Assistant Professor in the Department of
Communication at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas
José-Marie Griffiths, Professor & Dean at the School of Information
and Library Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Rick Johnson, communications consultant and founding director of SPARC
Heather Joseph, Executive Director of SPARC
Karen Rustad, president of Free Culture 5C and a senior at Scripps
College majoring in media studies
Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia
Peter Wintonick, award-winning documentary filmmaker and principal of
Necessary Illusions Productions Inc.

"I'm very proud to be judging this contest," said Karen Rustad. "When
it comes to debates over Internet information policy, students are
usually subjects for study or an object for concern. I can't wait to
see what my contemporaries have to say about mashup culture and open
access to information once they're given the mike -- or, rather, the
camera."

The contest takes as its inspiration a quote from George Bernard
Shaw: "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these
apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have
an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of
us will have two ideas."

Submissions must be received by December 2, 2007. Winners - including
a first-place winner and two runners up - will be announced in
January 2008. The winner will receive $1,000 and a "Sparky Award."
The runners up will each receive $500. Winning entries will be
publicly screened at the American Library Association Midwinter
Conference in January 2008 in Philadelphia and will be prominently
featured in SPARC's international advocacy and campus education
activities.

For further details, please see the contest Web site at http://
sparkyawards.org.

SPARC

SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition), with
SPARC Europe and SPARC Japan, is an international alliance of more
than 800 academic and research libraries working to create a more
open system of scholarly communication. SPARC is a founding member of
the Alliance for Taxpayer Access, a coalition of patient, academic,
research, and publishing organizations that supports open public
access to the results of federally funded research - including
research funded by the National Institutes of Health. SPARC is on the
Web at http://www.arl.org/sparc/.

--
Gavin Baker
Intern