[cc-community] Switching my book to a CC licence?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sun Dec 2 19:50:48 EST 2007

jonathon wrote:
> In terms of distribution issues, CC-NC-ND is far more hazardous to the
> distributor than CC-NC-SA is. "Share Alike" explicitly allows format
> shifting.  No-Deriviates implicitly prohibits format shifting.

I haven't followed this thread closely so maybe "format shifting" means
something I don't understand, but you might want to check out the last
paragraph of section 3 of
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/legalcode :

"The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now
known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make
such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights
in other media and formats, but otherwise you have no rights to make
Adaptations. Subject to Section 8(f), all rights not expressly granted
by Licensor are hereby reserved."

 > (Playing the a11y card is the easiest way to prove beyond any shadow
 > of doubt that there is an absolute prohibition of format shifting.)

I do not follow.