[cc-community] European Union Public Domain thematic network

Andrius Kulikauskas ms at ms.lt
Mon Sep 18 18:12:02 EDT 2006

Paul Keller, Andrea Glorioso, Mia Garlick,

Yes, I and our Minciu Sodas laboratory based in Lithuania are interested
to participate as partners.  I share my thoughts below.

Paolo Pumilia in Milan, Italy is also very interested.  He has organized
a series of conferences on Open Content including
http://www.openculture.org and is now creating a Permanent Committee.

Do you have a public online venue for pursuing work on this proposal,
including reaching out to others?  We'd like to host such work at our
working group Learning From Each Other
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ led by Pamela
McLean of the UK.  Her general interest is in the use of ICT to support
self-learning with special attention to the wide open situation in
Africa.  She has agreed to host Paolo's work towards a Permanent
Committee for open content conferences.  Roland Alton who hosted the
recent workshop is also here.  Please send a blank message to
learningfromeachother-subscribe at yahoogroups.com to subscribe!

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
ms at ms.lt
+370 (5) 264 5950
+370 (699) 30003
Vilnius, Lithuania

>>> http://www.globalvillages.info
>>> Franz's video bridge team which is working with telecoms so that they
>>> offer video bridge equipment free of charge to community centers  which
>>> subscribe to video bridge services. This option can make all the
>>> difference for spreading this technology and is analogous to the DSL
>>> companies offering modems free of charge to their subscribers. It  also
>>> lets subscribers use the existing proprietary technology without
>>> locking
>>> them into it so they might switch as open source options arise.  And
>>> it's
>>> a ground breaking example of providers serving communities rather  than
>>> consumers.
>>>
>>> Roland is looking for a team of four or five people who might help
>>> with
>>> his proposal. I'm happy to help. Who else? He also asked for help to
>>> find partners in the various European countries, especially large
>>> businesses and institutions. Here are some that we can approach
>>> right away:
>>> - Paolo Pumilia in Milan, Italy is the organizer of several Open
>>> Content
>>> conferences http://www.openculture.org with many ties to the academic
>>> community. He's the one who originally alerted me to the call.
>>> - Steve Cayzer of Hewlett-Packard Bristol Labs
>>> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Steve_Cayzer/ is working on the
>>> semantic
>>> web and is a friend of our lab.
>>> - Stanko Blatnik is in Slovenia and is interested in distance  learning
>>> and has academic connections.
>>> - Georg Pleger of Creative Commons Austria
>>> http://www.creativecommons.at/Members/georgP has been very  sympathetic
>>> and perhaps has more contacts.
>>> I have some connections in Lithuania's government, perhaps that
>>> might be
>>> relevant.
>>>
>>> But we need bigger connections in order to have a chance of  winning. I
>>> spoke recently with a friendly expert who made it clear that our
>>> lab had
>>> no chance of winning. These projects are typically won by outfits  that
>>> manage thirty or forty of them at a time. They have the whole
>>> production
>>> line ready for this and the calls are usually formulated with them in
>>> mind. So I'm encouraging us to work openly and rally around Roland  and
>>> all who are willing to put in the work and take the risk. This will
>>> provide three years of funding for a few organizers and travel for
>>> partners. And meanwhile it's a good opportunity for us to connect and
>>> support each other.
>>>
>>> I defer to Roland regarding the content of the proposal. But I
>>> share my
>>> ideas. I would call the proposal and the network "Ethical Public
>>> Domain". My goal would be to focus our attention on ethics rather  than