[cc-community] European Union Public Domain thematic network

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Sep 14 18:41:10 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 04:56 pm, Andrius Kulikauskas wrote:
> Hi! I'm wondering if anybody is writing a proposal for the European Union's
> call to create a Public Domain thematic network?  I want to support Roland
> Alton-Scheidl's efforts.  He's currently at the Wizards of OS conference in
> Berlin and will give a workshop on this on Sunday.  My Minciu Sodas
> laboratory members Markus Petz, Dante-Gabryell Monson and Eric Schneider
> are also there.  I hope we might speak up and work together at this
> opportunity!
>
> I also ask for help to make contacts in some of the bigger businesses and
> institutions as I think that is essential for the success of a proposal.
> They could be in Europe but even outside contacts might prove helpful.  I'm
> thinking of hardware, software, media companies but also perhaps insurance
> or real estate or travel or pharmaceuticals or other companies that are
> knowledge intensive and might possibly benefit from a progressive approach
> to the Public Domain.  I'm also personally asking for a review of current
> dogma and a rethinking as to how we might approach these issues ethically
> first, and legally second.

Well, I think one simple change in the law to push for that might make a hugh
difference is to make all non-marked works default to a simple copyleft
license instead of all rights reserved.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33654&forum=157

> [...]
> Certainly for individuals and small businesses there is no recourse in
> civil law because of the expense and wasted energy and so the law is not
> a solution for the people who matter.
>
> I think it's also perfectly human to have ethics and laws which allow
> humans to use their best judgement but require institutions with limited
> liability, such as corporations, to be taxed for their use of content.
> Or, for example, it makes sense to have patents which allow humans
> unrestricted use but require corporations to negotiate with the patent
> holder.
>
> I think it's important to think of the Public Domain in a practical way
> and not make a legal parody of it. In practice, people can and do change
> their mind as to whether their work is in the Public Domain. And the
> common sense consequence is that this does not affect any copies already
> published but should affect any future copies to the extent that the
> publisher has been made or should be aware of the change of status. In
> which case the publisher should be prepared to negotiate or find a
> substitute. This makes for a world where sharing is much more voluntary
> and not based on force, and where investments are made accordingly.
>
> I'm interested to approach participants in the Creative Commons
> initiative who would like to see more emphasis on ethics rather than
> law. I believe that here in Europe we might succeed in developing an
> ethical European alternative ("respect these requests") to a legalistic
> American approach ("these rights reserved"). Especially as the network's
> major role can be to suggest European policy that leads to directives
> that lead to harmonized laws throughout the Union.
>
> Pamela McLean has agreed to host work on this proposal at her working
> group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ Her key
> concept in life is "learning from each other" and she's especially
> interested in how we and ICT might support learning, especially in
> Africa, which is a wonderful land for thinking fresh. Paolo Pumilia is
> also active there. We invite all to join us, please send a blank message
> to learningfromeachother-subscribe at yahoogroups.com Roland, if you think
> this is a good idea, please ask people at your workshop to sign up for
> this group and get their permissions. This would be a great boost for us
> to help you! Also, the more openly that we write this proposal, the more
> partners, attention and good will we might attract.
>
> Roland, best wishes in your work!
> Please keep us posted!
>
> Andrius
>
> Andrius Kulikauskas
> Minciu Sodas
> http://www.ms.lt
> ms at ms.lt
> +370 (5) 264 5950
> +370 (699) 30003
> Vilnius, Lithuania
>

> Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145