[cc-community] suggested the CC license for the Katrina People Finder database

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Sep 8 21:30:36 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 20:27 -0400, Mark Rauterkus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just subscribed to this list today to face an interesting challenge
> that sits as an URGENT matter. Some interesting issues have been
> unfolding in the wake Katrina.
>
> A group of volunteer netizens pulled together to make an open standard
> (PFIF) and web application / database helping people find each other.
>
> Lots of heavy lifting has taken place -- and today (or yesterday) the
> big boys came into the game.
>
> I had suggested on the dev (or was it the volunteers list) that the CC
> license be used for the data.
>
> Some snips follow from a thread elsewhere (www.katrinalist.net)

Sounds good. Are you sure you want to restrict this list and technology
for it for only non-commercial purposes? Also, since this site is
software, are you sure cc licenses are the best way to go? If you are
trying to protect the software then I would suggest GNU GPL
(www.gnu.org): http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL

Also, yes, if you switch to a cc license, you will need to contact the
current copyright owners, clear that with them, and then remove that
copright logo (c) and replace with standard cc style licensing language.

Otherwise, I would say go with the cc license and move on!

Great job on the project and the idea.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips