[cc-community] looking for better CC instructions

Mark Ivey zovirl1_list at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 28 14:39:19 EDT 2005

I've come to the conclusion that the CC website needs better
instructions for content producers wanting to apply a CC license to
their work.  On the main CC page there is a big image labeled "publish
your stuff, safely and legally."  Unfortunately, it has such terse
instructions that I don't feel I can use the CC licenses safely.

After an hour of digging I found 6 different pages explaining one aspect
or another of how to license my work [1], and I still have unanswered
questions.  Reading through the list archives, it seems I'm not the only
one.  There is confusion about what non-commerical really means,
requests for better information on the licenses, and a regular stream of
"how do I license X?" questions.

In comparision, the GPL has a fairly complete FAQ and a howto page [2]
that make it easy for me to apply the license and feel that I've done it
correctly.  With the CC licenses, I feel like I might be applying them
incorrectly and they might therefore be unenforceable.  I don't know for
sure if my work is protected or not.

Am I just being paranoid or is this a real problem?  Perhaps the content
from the 6 pages I found could be merged together into a single "how to
apply the licenses" area?

-Mark Ivey-

[1]
http://creativecommons.org/license/
wizard for picking a license.  Suggests copying it onto your webpage.

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/
explains attributes of licenses
suggests including license on your site, near your work

http://creativecommons.org/technology/web
explains in detail how to license a website

http://creativecommons.org/technology/embedding
explains how to embed a license in MP3 files

http://creativecommons.org/education/publish-website
explains how to publish educational material on a website (but not in
detail)

http://creativecommons.org/technology/usingmarkup
links to pages explaining how to put a license in various types of files

[2]
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html