[cc-community] Very specific attribution requirements?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Aug 17 19:16:32 EDT 2005

caught runtime exception: No such file or directory

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 15:54 -0700, Chris Kelly wrote:
> From the 2.5 license, here's part of 4b: "to the extent reasonably practicable, the
> Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the
> Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information
> for the Work"
>
> What exactly does "refer to" mean? This seems to be quite open to interpretation.
> Someone might think that means the URI needs to be of a page containing the full
> text of the license, others might think that, for instance, a homepage that contains
> fine print at the bottom with a table showing which pictures are licensed under which
> licenses and with links to the licenses. Even if the second is the prefered
> interpretation, it appears that flickr might think the first is the correct interpretation.

If the content at the URI contains a copyright notice or licensing
information it's ok.  I don't know how it could be interpreted to
require that the URI content include the full text of the license.
"unless.." is supposed to protect a licensee from having to link to a
completely irrelevant page.

> Is there a possibility of providing an optional "strict attribution" requirement in future
> licenses that would contain the boilerplate version of my specific requirements? Or,
> something requiring two URIs: one to the license, and the other to a page the data
> owner requests.

That's what 2.0+ licenses allow for.  The license URI or a copy of the
license has always been required (see 4(a) of
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/legalcode).  The
licensor-specified URI provided for in 4(b).

IANAL, etc.

--
   Mike Linksvayer