[cc-community] Benjamin Mako Hill on Creative Commons

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Mon Aug 1 11:22:45 EDT 2005

On Monday, August 01, 2005, at 03:57PM, Greg London <email at greglondon.com> wrote:

>12 people are taken hostage by a lone gunman in a bank.
>If one hostage stands up and attempts to fight
>the gunman, his chances of winning a hand-to-gun
>fight are slim, he'll take all the risk, possibly
>lose everything, and if he succeeds in tackling
>the gunman, everyone immediately benefits from his
>work, and he has no way of getting paid for his
>efforts.

The hostage can of course grab the gun, shoot all the other hostages as well as the gunman, and throw some of the money out of the back window. Then when the police storm the building he can return the gun to the (dead) gunman's hand and play the heroic survivor of a massacre before going to pick up the loot. After this he can make more of a fortune by selling his story to the press, appearing on chat shows, writing a novel and selling the film rights.

This is the optimal strategy for the "game". If we compare this strategy to real life, it kinda matches that pursued by the MPAA/RIAA. :-)

- Rob.