[Cc-ca] Response to Sheila Crossey

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Thu Jul 8 11:46:56 EDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Ian wrote:

> The right to the Integrity of a work is important for CC licences
> because licensors really don't know who is downloading their work (it
> might a distasteful organization).  Whereas, if creators are selling
> rights, they can exercise more control (i.e. not let distasteful
> organizations buy their work in the first place).

  I think this is being looked at in reverse.  CC licenses should be able
to create certainty for those *using* the works, not just the creators.
I license my works under the US CC, and when I use US-CC licensed works I
assume I never have to worry about extremely subjective things like what
the creator may consider to be a "distastful organization".

  I believe that if "Integrity of a work" is left intact, that CC-Canada
licenses will not be used in favor of US-CC licenses which users would
hope (and probably incorrectly assume) did not have "integrity of a work"
left intact.

 Petition for Users' Rights, Protect Internet creativity and innovation
      Canadian Election 2004: http://digital-copyright.ca/
 Find out where parties and candidates stand on important Tech issues!