[ccAustralia] CC licenses in education- a case study

Tama Leaver tamaleaver at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:00:53 EST 2011

Hi All,

I asked Simon McIntyre at COFA (who made the videos) why that license was
chosen, and he explained thus:
"We in fact had no choice in the matter. The ALTC stipulated the licence we
had to use as part of the contractual agreement. All their projects must use
this licence. We even had to stick to the older 2.5 licence rather than the
newer 3.0 licence. I used the 3.0 originally, but got into trouble for it! "

So it was the Australian Learning and Teaching Council's rules. To be fair,
I imagine at some point the ALTC made this rule to ensure everyone produced
was under a CC license (ie to urge people who wouldn't normally have done so
to use CC) and that the more conservative CC BY NC ND license is the best
compromise possible when being contractually applied to all the projects
they fund.

As to the NC element, especially for this sort of educational resource,
that's never seemed problematic to me.  I do agree ND is a bit annoying, but
it's worth remembering that Fair Dealing can still apply, to if you needed
to play 30 seconds, or remix it into a new educational resource, Fair
Dealing (or US Fair Use) would in most cases still allow that.

Cheers,
Tama

Email: t.leaver at curtin.edu.au
Web: www.tamaleaver.net

CRICOS Provider Code: 00301J (WA) 02637B (NSW)