[ccAustralia] CC licenses in education- a case study

Leigh Blackall leighblackall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 05:11:40 EST 2011

I'm interested why/how the video came to wear the license Non Commercial and
No Derivatives? I saw no content within it that forced that...

Tama encouraged educational media producers, even students to use more
liberal licenses, but was left high and dry by the producers of this video,
looking slightly hypocritical as a result.

The Non Commercial restriction prevents me loading it to other commercially
sustained video sharing sites, certainly most educational institutions these
days, perhaps that was precisely the reason, this is the Australian
education sector after all.. The No Derivative restriction prevents
transcriptions, translations, sub titling, or maybe even copying it into an
open standard format. Certainly I can't do anything with it but watch it at
the location prescribe by the College.

I don't mean to be harsh, but how does the College, with a pretty high
percentage of funding from Australian taxes, justify these restrictions? How
did Tama come to give release for recordings of his face and words in this?
Especially when it portrays the producers, and even Tama by association,
as being more conservative than the Australian
Government<http://agimo.govspace.gov.au/2010/10/07/government-2-0-update-%E2%80%93-amended-ip-principles-released/>these
days!

There must be a reason, I'd like to know, it wasn't apparent in the video.

Leigh Blackall
+61(0)404561009
skype - leigh_blackall
leighblackall at gmail.com