[cc-au] FW: Invitation to Join a New Commons

Jessica Coates j2.coates at qut.edu.au
Mon May 12 01:15:50 EDT 2008

Hey all - people on these lists might be interested in the post below.

> [...]
 > http://www.onthecommons.org/
 > Since you are a registered user we would like to invite you to be among the
 > first to check out the new site.  Read the blog posts, essays, news
and profiles
 > of fellow commoners. Upload information about yourself in a Facebook-like
 > profile.  Submit ideas and entries of your own.  And help us make
 > OntheCommons.org a truly participatory commons.
 > Logging In
 > As a returning user from the previous OntheCommons.org website, you should be
 > able to immediately log in using the green Participate menu at the top right
 > corner of any page.  Enter your email address in the first box and
old password
 > in the next box.  If you have forgotten your password, enter your
email address,
 > request a new password, and follow the instructions.  If you have a different
 > email address since you first registered, or can't remember ever registering
 > simply follow the instructions for new registration.  If there is
any problem,
 > We are hoping that OntheCommons.org will be not only a source of useful
 > information, but also an irresistible place for commoners to hang
out with each
 > other, instigate new initiatives and advance the commons on many fronts.
 > However, first we need to get to know each other better.  We hope you will be
 > more than a guest.  We hope you will register, contribute content and return
 > again and again. The new site lets you create your own profile-a key function
 > for other commoners who share a particular interest to locate you and your
 > contributions.  Our new "topic and tag system" will help everyone navigate,
 > search and find highly specialized subjects.
 > We are also proud to offer several new editorial features.  They
include Commons
 > Champions, profiles of people doing important work on commons; Commons in
 > Action, that focuses on local commons work around the country and
the world; and
 > Commons in the News, highlights of commons issues in both mainstream and
 > independent media.  You'll continue to find blogs and essays
exploring new ideas
 > and important developments related to the commons.
 > Another major change is a new name for the organization that launched
 > OntheCommons.org. Tomales Bay Institute is changing its name to On
the Commons.
 > We hope that our new name will better communicate our mission and attract new
 > partners and friends to help in this work.
 > To expand our coverage of the commons, Jay Walljasper is joining me
as an editor
 > of OntheCommons.org.  Jay has a rich and varied background in magazines,
 > including Utne Reader, where he was Editor for 15 years, and Ode
magazine, where
 > is currently a Senior Editor.  On the Commons coordinator Kathleen
Maloney joins
 > the site as Managing Editor.  On the Commons Managing Fellow Julie Ristau,
 > former publisher of Utne Reader, played a critical role in shepherding the
 > website redesign to completion and also joins the editorial team.
 > We also think of you as part of the team.  It is our fervent desire that
 > OntheCommons.org become a place for conversation and community. We
consider you,
 > our current readers, to be at the forefront of new thinking on cultural and
 > economic ideas.  You are the leading players in a movement for
social connection
 > and political reconstruction.  So we encourage you to offer ideas
about material
 > on the site and get involved. If you have any questions, suggestions or
 > criticisms, please send them along to us.
 > We want to thank Andrew Sloat of Drainage Ditch and his colleague
Renda Morton
 > for their fantastic design and programming of the website.  They have put
 > together a tremendously versatile and stylish site that will allow us to grow
 > and advance the cause of the commons.
 > David Bollier
 > Editor, OntheCommons.org
 > OnTheCommons.org is a project of On the Commons
 > http://www.onthecommons.org

 You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of
Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview
at http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN, http://www.shiftn.com/