[bittorrent] New P2P protocols

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Fri Mar 25 09:07:05 EST 2005

Hi, Jeff.

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 13:03 +0000, Jeff Burdges wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the source of the interest
in UDP?  I see two
> possible reasons for UDP:
> Or are people interested in something else?
>
> Jeff

Actually, I'm interested in  having servers that can
handle thousands of connections, which in theory could
happen if ISPs start caching torrents.  TCP has a bit
more overhead per connection, and some socket
implementations don't like to support > 65K sockets.
UDP could do it with just one open socket.  Also, we
have built-in error correction in BT, so it may be
more efficient to drop the overhead of TPC's checking.

I think these are the concerns that led to UDP based
tracker implementations, but I'm not sure.

Bill