[BitTorrent] UPnP, NATs, and P2P

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Tue Feb 15 23:51:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 21:56 +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/teredo.mspx
>

> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:06:02 -0500, Yejun Yang <yejunx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Currently MS Torendo IPv6 server protocal can let 2 peers both behind
> > > NAT to communicate with each other directly without server relay.
> >
> > Can you post an URL or something? I did not find anything on
> > this subject.
> >
> > Kosta

This seems to only document IPv6 tunneling through NATs and IPv4
routers, much the way we do it today with plain IPv4.  The goal seems to
be to help aid the transition to IPv6.

I didn't seen any recommended solution to the problem of two peers, both
behind NATs, that want to talk.  From my understanding of simple NATs, I
don't see how it's possible without configuring the NATs to forward
ports, or support UPnP.

Basically, if I'm behind a NAT, and so are you, and either we don't have
the gateway passwords, or we're not computer savvy, we can't talk
directly.

Bill