[BL] BL3 to Glibc2
lforrestster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 14:09:33 EST 2007
Uclibc isn't stable enough, and my hardware requires a lot of libc6 software,
so I decided to give in and 'upgrade' to glibc2, but instead of installing
it on my present system, I'm rebuilding BL3 around it.
Formatted a partition with BL3 mke2fs, mounted it from BL3 and
created the basic directory tree, copied busybox there, created
the links, copied /dev there, and /etc (making a few changes in
the config files), and installed the SW9.0 glibc2 pkg. (Both ldd
and ldconfig came with it.)
Then I copied over /lib/modules for my 2.4.31 kernel
Installed elvis from 9.0, which turned out to need libtermcap, which
I copied over from BL3-1. It works! (Not perfectly, but good enough.
I'll get the right version later.)
Next, I chrooted to the top directory and ran ldconfig.
Created a stanza for the new OS in /etc/lilo.conf (on my debian OS) and
ran lilo, then rebooted into BL3-2!
Now, slowly but surely, I'm either moving files over from BL3-1 or replacing
them with packages from SW9.0 (the less there requires libncurses so I decided
to pass). 'file' needs libgcc_s.so.1 and libz.so.1.2.3, so I copied those
over from BL3-1 and it works fine.
I'm well under 5M right now.
Next step is Xvesa and friends.
As soon as I've recreated BL3 I'll be installing gcc and building an xserver
for my i810 chip. First try will be the tinyX, and then the regular server if
that doesn't work. It won't be a full X install, just the server.
This may seem like the hard way to do it, but it is very interesting and instructive,
and I'm keeping a careful record of everything I install and getting rid of some
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
More information about the BasLinux