[BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)

Ron Clarke ariadne at ausreg.com
Thu Dec 14 21:02:12 EST 2006

Hi Steven,

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:53:18 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>> > http://computers.ebay.com.au/

>> Should I be looking for a particular specification, or
>> does one size fit all ?

> Avoid Xircom network cards and all CardBus cards.  3Com
> network cards will work, but you will need to add a module.
> Most other PCMCIA network cards will work with the built-in
> module.  Make sure the card comes with the dongle (the wee
> cable that connects the socket to the PCMCIA card).

   As it happened, there was a computer techie in the house just after
your email (attending to my wife's Win98/2000 and XP machines), and we
had a look through his kit of spares as to what card would fit the laptop.

  None of his cards would fit into my old Toshiba Satellite. He suggested
that as his cards were all PCMCIA II (2 ?), that I would need a PCMCIA I (1)
profile card.  I didn't know that !   I am not even convinced it is true.

  Is anyone familiar with all this ?

Regards,
         Ron

Ron Clarke