[BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)

sindi keesan keesan at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Nov 15 22:05:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

> On 11/15/05, sindi keesan <keesan at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>> (If someone wants to compile one
>> please also include my Adaptec card so I can use it for everything).
>
> I was trying to build an absolutely minimal kernel. You can look at
> the config here:
>
> http://geocities.com/davidjmoberg/config-usb.txt
>
> Do you want a custom kernel? If so, what else do you want, besides
> the USB support and Adaptec card? Sound? (or ALSA?) Power
> management? CPU optimization?

OSS sound.  No power management.  P1 should work with everything
that has or can take USB controller.  aic7xxx scsi controller (I was given
three of them).

> David

I am using a kernel that I compiled, for 2.2.16, with scsi and sound, and
I posted the zimage.sb and config.sb at keesan.freeshell.org/bl.  This
includes my aic7xxx card, and whatever I needed to use the modules
scsi_mod, sd_mod, sr_mod and sg, and sb16, and awe32, and opl3.
zimage.snd is similar but supports additional sound cards.  My sb kernel
seems to support several cards for which I did not actually compile it (I
forget which ones).  The .snd kernel is similar, I might have added loop
to it along with other sound cards.

Can you add usbcore, uhci, usb-uhci, usb-ohci, and usb-storage?

We just acquired a pile of scsi hard drives.  Do I need an additional
module to use them or just sda?  At least one of our computers will do
scsi boot (BIOS lets you boot from A, C D E F CD-ROM or SCSI!).  Can I
boot linux (on a scsi drive) with loadlin (on a DOS IDE drive)?

My kernel already does sda (for zip drives and I think CD burners) which
is needed for memory cards and USB cameras.

I modelled my kernel on BL2 so probably left out loop and included
whatever it is that lets you mount drives without specifying file type
(DOS and Windows).  Add back loop if needed.

I have support for ppa and imm (parport zip drives - we were given
two and I bought two, one of which needed a brain transplant from a scsi
drive because of a bent mechanism).

You should only need to add loop and usb, uhci/ohci, and usb-storage
(choose experimental) to make my kernel work with sound, scsi, and usb
cameras, in BL3 and BL2.   Can you use my config file for 2.2.16 in
2.2.26, as a starting point?

Does anyone else have a special request to be included in the 2.2.26
kernel which I think David is offering to compile for scsi, usb and sound
support?

David, do you have a USB memory stick or camera you can test it with?

Thanks!