[BL] USB mass storage camera in DOS and linux

sindi keesan keesan at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Apr 11 15:54:30 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> David Moberg wrote:
>>
>> You need the ide_cs module.
>
> You also need to add "device" and "card"
> specifications to /etc/pcmcia/config
>
> ---------------------------
> device "ide_cs"
> class "ide" module "ide_cs"
> ---------------------------
> That configs ide_cs as a possible device.
>
> --------------------------------
> card "ACE DoubleFlash 20MB"
> version "IBM", "IBM17JSSFP20"
> bind "ide_cs"
>
> card "Simple Tech Compact Flash"
> version "STI Flash"
> bind "ide_cs"
> --------------------------------
> Those (examples) tell cardmgr to load ide_cs when it
> reads those ID strings from inserted cards.  You will
> need to substitue the ID string from your actual card
> -OR- use the manfid values from your card -OR- put in
> a function line (instead of version or manfid).

Do I get the card name and ID string somehow by installing ide_cs? Where
would I find a function line?  Is the manfid written on the card?  (It is
inside the camera right now).

> I suggest you look in /etc/pcmcia/config from a recent
> Slackware to get some more examples.  Compact flash
> devices were relatively new when Slackware 7.1 was
> compiled so it only has the two above examples.
> Hopefully you will find better examples in a more
> recent one.  BTW, if you can find a generic config
> for compact flash (using function instead of version
> or manfid), that would be the most useful (assuming
> it actually works for your card).
>
> All of the above is theoretical.  I do not personally
> have a PCMCIA compact flash card/adapter, so I cannot
> try this myself.  If I did, I would happily add the
> config to BL3.

I will let you know if I get this working so you can add another example.

What is the name of the resulting device so I can mount it?  Does it come
out as a scsi device (sda1?) like the IDE zip disk, which is sda4?
(I ask because in DOS USB mass storage devices are treated like scsi).

In the meantime, since a list member informed me he had his Olympus USB
camera working off a DOS boot disk, I did some web research and found the
interesting site newdos.yginfo.net/usbdos.htm where you can download
drivers for accessing USB mass storage devices (which includes flash
memory cards) in DOS.  yginfo has many other nice DOS links.

Drivers are at:
http://newdos.yginfo.net/dosware/usb/usbaspi5.sys
and /di1000dd.sys and /aspidisk.sys

I put into config.sys
device=usbaspi5.sys  /v /r   (usbaspi5.sys is the latest version)
device=di1000dd.sys

The first of these lets you use a scsi driver for the USB device, and the
second is a mass-storage scsi driver.  They also offered aspidisk.sys,
which is older, and which someone at another site said worked for them
when di1000dd did not, but aspidisk.sys crashed my computer and it would
not reboot until I turned off the camera.  di1000dd works with USB 2.0.
They total 30K, even smaller than photopc for DOS or linux.

I plugged the cable between our Argus DC3200 (which I eventually found on
a list of USB mass storage devices that should work with linux), turned
the dial to PC (transfer) mode, and turned it on.

Rebooted the computer and it identified the USB device and assigned it
drive letter F: and said it was 3MB (It is actually 4MB compact flash
card).  I was able to use it just like a hard drive or zip drive.

Having made this progress I went looking for the USB drivers for Slackware
8.1 (since 7.1 does not support USB) and they are all in a 7.6MB file and
I decided not to bother since it works in DOS which will fit on a 720K
floppy boot disk with config.sys.

DOS PCMCIA looks at least as complicated as linux PCMCIA so we will figure
it out for linux and report back.